Start your day right with these quick and easy pancakes that all the family can enjoy, even those on a gluten free diet.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10-15 minutes
- 50g (2oz) fine cornmeal
- 50g (2oz) tapioca flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 200g (7oz) low fat natural yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 150g (5oz) blueberries
- 1-2 tablespoons sunflower oil for frying
A little butter, extra blueberries and maple syrup or runny honey
- Mix the flours, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl. Add the yogurt and eggs and whisk together until smooth then fold in the blueberries.
- Heat a little of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, wipe out the excess with a piece of crumpled kitchen towel. Drop large spoonfuls of the thick batter into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until bubbles can be seen and the undersides are tinged brown.
- Turn the pancakes over with a palette knife and cook the second side for a minute or two. Take out of the pan and keep hot in a folded napkin. Oil the pan once more and cook more pancakes in the same way until all the mixture has been used up, lowering the heat slightly if needed.
- Stack the pancakes on to plates, top with a little butter, extra blueberries and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey.
Fine cornmeal can be found in Indian supermarkets and some larger supermarkets, tapioca flour from your nearest health food shop.