A bit of luxury indulgence!
100g Green & Black’s cocoa powder
150 ml double cream
350g strawberries, hulled, plus extra sliced for filling and decoration
500g caster sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the filling and icing:
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350f/ Gas mark 4 and grease and line two baking tins.
2) Mix the cocoa with the cream and add 100ml of cold water. In a food processor, or in a bowl with a hand blender, purée the strawberries and set aside.
3) In a large bowl, place the butter and then cream with the back of a wooden spoon. Cream in the caster sugar, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, gradually, then mix in two-thirds of the strawberry purée and the cocoa mixture, mix thoroughly.
4) Fold in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Divide between the prepared tins and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a flat knife comes out clean when inserted into the cake. Turn out onto a wire rack for cooling after a few minutes of resting.
5) In a large bowl, use an electric whisk to soften the butter for 1 minute, then gradually whisk in 550g of the icing sugar, adding a little cold water if needed to loosen. Transfer a quarter of the mixture to another bowl and add the remaining strawberry purée and whisk in the remaining icing sugar. Sandwich the two cooled cakes together with the strawberry icing and set on your serving plate.
6) Melt the chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave for 50 seconds, then stir and heat for a further 20 seconds. Whsik the melted chocolate into the remaining icing, along with the cream. Use this to ice the cake completely. Garnish with the extra strawberries and serve.